Eating habits are a set of behaviors that determine the types of foods people consume. These habits include meal and snack patterns, acceptable foods, food combinations, and portion sizes. Individual preferences, family customs, and social settings also impact what a person eats.
1. Habits related to eating from a large plate or bowl
According to Cornell University food psychologist Brian Wansink, people tend to eat more when they eat from a larger dish. He discovered that moviegoers who ate popcorn from a large container ate 45 percent more than those who ate it out of smaller containers.
2. Eating habits that lead to weight gain
Many people develop unhealthy eating habits that lead to weight gain. These bad habits can be difficult to break, but if you are persistent, it is possible.
3. Snacking throughout the day on high calorie foods is another example of an unhealthy eating habit. Snacking on high calorie, processed foods can be addictive and can cause weight gain.
4. Snacking on sugary snacks is another bad eating habit that can be harmful to your health. These high calorie snacks often contain empty carbohydrates and are high in salt.
5. Snacking on junk foods can be unhealthy because they are often high in fat and cholesterol and can cause you to gain weight rapidly.
6. Snacking on fast-food and takeaway meals is another example of an unhealthy eating habit that can be harmful to your health. Restaurant and takeaway meals are usually high in saturated fat, added salt, and added sugars, so you need to be careful what you order.
7. Eating habits that lead to emotional overeating is another example of an unhealthy eating habit that should be avoided. Psychologists have found that people who eat in response to emotions are more likely to become overweight or obese than those who don’t.
8. Eating in a hurry and eating while distracted are some examples of an unhealthy eating habit that should be avoided. This type of eating can be caused by busy schedules, rushing to get to work or school, or working long hours without eating at least a small meal.
9. Snacking in a vending machine is another bad eating habit that should be avoided. Instead, bring in healthy snacks that are easy to eat and don’t have the high calorie, empty carbohydrate content of those that you see in the vending machines.
10. Snacking on candy in the evening for energy is another bad eating habit that should be avoided. These sugary treats can be very high in calories and can leave you feeling tired, irritable, or depressed afterward.
13. Eating to satisfy feelings of boredom is another bad eating habit that should be avoided. If you are bored, try getting out of the house for a walk or a few minutes of exercise.
14. Eating in front of a TV or computer is another bad eating habit that should be avoided. This is because eating in front of a TV or computer is very distracting and can lead to overeating.